Every year, birds cause damages worth tens of millions of dollars to building facades, roofs, and ventilation system. In addition, it is known to spread diseases and may jeopardize the credibility of your brand. Understanding bird control can save you a lot of stress and money.
Principles Of Protecting Commercial Buildings From Birds & The Damage They Cause
In contrast to the control of other insects, the control of birds does not need destructive measures – the main way of protecting a building from birds is to scare the birds away. There are some methods to keep the birds at a distance from commercial buildings. In some cases, it is necessary to protect the birds themselves from possible damage and death because of interactions with various engineering structures.
The control of birds is based on the knowledge of the biology and behavior of these animals and deals with creating a situation that is uncomfortable or unacceptable for birds in the places of their unwanted stay. This is achieved by various technical methods. In some cases, when it is necessary to eliminate the presence of birds in any place, the only way to achieve the goal is to prevent the possibility of birds entering the object. This is a laborious, but necessary way to achieve the goal.
If it is necessary to fully protect the building from the penetration of birds, then the only way is to prevent them from getting there. This is achieved both by fulfilling certain rules for using the building, and by carefully blocking possible places for birds to enter the building, and most importantly, by designing the building, considering the prospects for bird control. So, all terminals should be equipped with special gateways that prevent the birds from flying into the premises during loading and unloading. In the finished enterprise, it is not always possible to complete such a gateway, and without it, it is impossible to completely exclude the possibility of birds entering the premises.
Birds Are Intelligent
It is difficult to deceive them, especially if we are trying to block access of birds to resources that are important for them. Therefore, any devices based on deception: acoustic repellents, thunder guns, various stuffed animals and imitations of predators, or even the use of real predators for a certain time, are addictive and quickly lose their effectiveness. Therefore, preference for creating an uncomfortable environment for birds should be given to “honest” methods: various grids, antagonist means (hedgehogs, strings), laser installations, etc.
An important circumstance often overlooked by the sanitary services of enterprises is preventive measures. It is easy to fight with birds at low levels of ornithological load – when birds do not have a particularly strong motivation for the building. Achieving this state is the main task of local health services. To do this, you first need to monitor the general sanitary condition of the building – to prevent open storage and food waste, etc. The second point may be the design of some elements of engineering structures, for example, eaves of roofs.
If the cornices are set at an angle of 45, rather than 90 degrees concerning the walls (as is usually done), this will significantly reduce the attractiveness of these nesting sites for swallows (which is a big problem in many enterprises). But this is a separate topic that must be considered at the stage of the project of the enterprise.
Problems Associated With Birds In Buildings
- Damage to the facades of buildings and roofs: The causticity of bird droppings can cause serious damage to architectural and historical buildings and monuments, building facades, both residential and industrial, children’s playgrounds, pavements laid out of marble, granite, natural stone, and other urban structures. Because of its causticity, it can penetrate deep into the facing materials. During contact with an unprotected metal surface, bird droppings cause corrosion. In addition, bird droppings look very unsightly.
- Damage to property: Large concentrations of litter in places of bird activity (overnight stays, resting places, nesting colonies) cause great damage to private property: cars, country sidewalk paths, litter chimneys of houses and other engineering structures of cottage buildings. Bird droppings are quite significant, and most importantly, a persistent polluter and make it difficult to wash cars, clean suburban buildings, and engineering structures.
- Aggressive behavior: During the nesting period, the number of birds attacking people increases. Cyclists and pedestrians suffer from bird attacks. Many victims during the nesting period complain that birds chase after them and start to hurt painfully. During the nesting period, male birds protect their territory and at the same time are very aggressive. The most common bird attacks on people occur in parks and other recreational areas.
- Spread of diseases: Bird droppings are carriers of fungal and bacterial diseases; more than 60 infectious diseases are known. In its purest form, bird droppings are highly concentrated and contain a rich bouquet of pathogenic microflora. This can be very dangerous if not carefully managed.
- Noise and damage of food: The last thing you need in a commercial building is a distraction. Gathering in colonies, birds better protect themselves from enemies. Areas of an abundance of food are not always suitable places for the device nests. This is the main reason that many thousands of birds make nests in small areas and, as a result, damage food in warehouses, in the places of their transportation, in trade pavilions, cafes, and restaurants.
Let Alliance Pest Services solve all your pest bird problems today. Contact us today and tell us about your specific bird control and removal needs.